Monday, March 15, 2021

Siblings=Rocks!

I have a younger sister and a baby brother.  Two people that I would go to the ends of the Earth for.  Two people that I would move Heaven and Earth for.  Two people that growing up I fought with, shared beds with, shared rooms with and protecting from anything and everything I could.  At a certain point in life when they decided to make decisions of their own I realized I couldn't always protect them.  I had to let them fall so they could fly again. 

For many years we didn't have the close bond that we did as children.  It was a very difficult situation for us all I believe.  Now we are closer than I think we have ever been before.  I don't regret the time that we lost as I can see where it got us.  If it weren't for the time apart that we had, who knows where we would be.  
 
They say that I have always been a rock for them, but the truth is they have always been "my rock."  They were my drive in life to do better, to be better.  See I knew growing up that if something ever happened to my parents and being the oldest sibling I would have to be their "Guardian", their "Protector".  Even if I wasn't 18 years old I would at some point reach that age and if it meant working more than one job I would do whatever it would take to get them.  
 
I would fight for them, "tooth and nail," to keep them out of any foster home or foster care.  I would give them everything that they would have had down to making sure that Christmas was just like my mom would have wanted it to be. 

See at a young age when you lose people that you care for, things like this come to mind.  Life really hits you right in the face and wakes you up.  You realize just how fragile and short life can be.  Sometimes tragedy teaches us far more than we realize until later in life.  So this didn't occur to me until recently after we all realized that we lost friends at early ages and how we all came back to each other and realized we are each others "Rocks".  

So to our parents:  Thank you for your sacrifices in developing this unbreakable bond.  It began with the both of you!  Thank you for putting up with our many fights, sleepless nights and everything in between.  You guys are the boulder from which our rocks came!!  We love you!!

                                                                                                         G. P. W. L.
                                                                                                       Melissa Harris 





No comments:

Post a Comment

They become what we speak to them!!

Yesterday was our Elizabeth's K-Building Field Day.  She was so excited the night before you would have thought Santa Claus or the Easte...